When was the last time you thought about your car air filter? If it’s been awhile, now is a good time to check it out. Your car air filter is an important part of your engine, because it supplies it with clean air to ensure the engine car run at its maximum efficiency. In this week’s blog, we’ll talk about why it’s so important to have a clean air filter, and how to know when it’s time to change your car air filter.
What does your car air filter do?
The air filter filters all of the air that enters your car’s engine. This does several things for your car.
- It ensures that the air that enters the combustion chamber is clean, which maximizes the efficiency of the combustion process.
- It prevents debris from getting into the engine and damaging it.
What happens when the car air filter is dirty?
- Your gas mileage decreases because the combustion process is not as efficient.
- The air-fuel mixture in the engine becomes “too rich” which means there’s too much fuel in the mixture. This can damage the spark plugs, which can cause starting problems, idling problems, and an engine miss. It can also increase engine deposits.
- The emission control systems are negatively effected.
- The overall performance of the engine is hampered.
How can I inspected my car air filter?
- You can find the air filter in a plastic housing near the top driver’s side of the engine. The housing may snap shut or screw shut.
- Remove the filter from the housing and hold it up in the light. Look for an accumulation of dirt and debris. But know that even if it appears to be clean, it could be clogged by particles that are too small to be seen.
How often should I replace my car air filter?
- Most manufacturers recommend you replace the air filter every 12,000-15,000 miles, or every 4th or 5th oil change if you get the oil changed every 3,000 miles.
- If you drive the car in urban areas where the air quality is poorer, or if you drive in stop and go conditions a lot, you may need to get it changed more often.
- Take your car to Auto Stop, your local auto repair shop in Baltimore, to get a new air filter and improve the performance of your engine! You could improve your gas mileage by as much as 14%!
Auto Stop is your local auto repair shop, serving the Baltimore metro area. We are A+ accredited by the Better Business Bureau. We are also an ARI Fleet repair center for all Fleet Repairs.
Our mechanics are highly trained and use state-of-the-art Automotive diagnostic equipment to pinpoint your particular issues, repair it, and get you back on the road as quickly as possible. We promise to diagnose your auto repair problems in an honest and professional manner and all of our work is 100% guaranteed!