The last thing any car owner wants to hear is a noise coming from the engine. But what does it mean? Well, that depends on the noise. There are several different types of noises that could originate from your engine. And each has its very own root problem.
Engine Repair Baltimore: Diagnosing Engine Noise
- Hissing Noise: When you notice a hissing noise coming from your engine, like air or steam being released, you may also notice a drop in your car’s performance. Possible causes include: overheating, the exhaust system and/or catalytic converter is plugged, a vacuum line is leaking or disconnected, or a vacuum device is leaking.
- Whirring Noise: When you notice a whirring noise that worsens as your speed increases, there are several possible causes ranging from low power steering fluid to a bad alternator to a bad water pump to a bad power steering pump to a bad air conditioning compressor.
- Loud Exhaust: When you notice a loud noise coming from the exhaust, the problem could be the muffler or a worn out pipe or a cracked exhaust manifold.
- Backfiring: If your engine backfires when you step on the pedal and the engine runs like garbage, you need to take action quickly. This could result in severe engine damage. The cause, however, could be anything from a slipped camshaft timing belt, your ignition timing needing adjusting, or something much more serious.
- Popping and Hesitating: When your engine hesitates and pops, your engine may seem bogged down and take a second to respond (a general lack of power). This could be caused by a dirty air filter, the ignition wires may be bad, or there may be a more serious internal engine issue.
No matter the noise or the cause, one thing is for certain; you need to take your car to your local Baltimore auto repair shop as soon as possible. Don’t let a small noise become a major problem!
Auto Stop Limited: Your Baltimore Auto Repair Shop specializing in Engine Repair
At Auto Stop Limited Inc., our auto mechanics are highly trained and use the latest diagnostic technology to pinpoint your particular engine issue, repair it, and get your car back on the road as quickly as possible. If the issue is more serious, complete engine replacement may be our only option. But don’t worry; we can handle that as well. Best of all, all of our work 100% guaranteed!